Monday, September 19, 2005

Welcome!

I started this blog and eventually plan to turn it over to the kids that I'll be discussing here. They are the finest bunch of kids I've ever had the pleasure to meet. For the first time in my adult life, I wish I was filthy rich just so I can be sure each one gets through school and stays healthy.

I just got back from visiting Uganda, where I spent the majority of the time at two orphanages: Kiwanga (in Kampala) and Sabine (in the rural Rakai province, near the Tansanya). Most of these kids are AIDs orphans; a few with darker pasts, being orphaned by the atrocities in either Rwanda or the Northern Ugandan conflict. A few were abandoned by parents too poor to care for them.

Seventeen days with them was just not enough; however, my money and time ran out together on this trip and I was forced to leave. Despite going nasty jobs like sewer pipe replacement and pig pen reconstruction, I have never been happier. I left Uganda having never seen the headwaters of the Nile, nor the gorillas in the southwest, and spent maybe 30 minutes on the shore of Lake Victoria. Still, I saw a lot of Uganda's most wonderful asset; her children. I'll discuss more (and post pictures) later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home